Glitzy Cake Batter Cookie Sandwiches
These sweet and glitzy cookies get their fun flavor from cake mix. For the frosting, cake batter extract is used, but if it isn’t available, you can make your own with extracts you may already have on hand.
Serves: 24Prep: 35 minutesCook: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1/2 cup plus ⅓ cup butter, softened and divided
- 1/2 cup Kroger® Pure Cane Granulated Sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Kroger® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Kroger® All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup cake mix (dry)
- 3 cups Kroger® Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon imitation butter flavor
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, beat ½ cup butter and the granulated sugar on medium speed until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla on low speed until blended.
- Beat or stir in flour and cake mix until dough forms. Shape dough into flattened disk. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2 hours. Heat oven to 375°F.
- Roll disk on lightly floured surface until slightly less than ¼” thick (3/16”). Cut into 2” circles. Place 1” apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 6-8 minutes or until edges are beginning to brown. Cool 1 minute and remove from cookie sheets to cooling rack. Cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, beat powdered sugar, the remaining ⅓ cup butter and cake mix extract on low speed until blended. Beat in just enough milk to make frosting smooth and spreadable.
- For each cookie sandwich, spread about 2 teaspoons frosting on bottom of one cookie. Top with another cookie, pressing gently so frosting comes to edge of cookie. Dip frosted edge of cookie in decors. Store in airtight container.