Beet & Bean Burgers
Beets pair nicely with oranges, and together they bring an unexpected flavor to the typical grilled veggie burger.
Serves: 4Prep: 35 minutesCook: 10 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 can (15.25 oz.) Kroger® Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup beets, cooked and finely chopped or shredded
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped or shredded
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 avocado
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 4 hamburger buns, toasted
- Place beans in a large bowl, mash with a potato masher or fork. Add beets, onion, egg, breadcrumbs, cumin, garlic, ½ teaspoon salt, pepper and orange zest; mix well. Allow to stand for 15 minutes before dividing into 4 burger patties.
- Mash together avocado, cilantro, lime juice and remaining salt.
- Heat grill to medium heat and oil grill grates.
- Place burger patties on the grill. Cook 8-10 minutes, flipping once, or until internal temperature reaches 145°F.
- Serve burgers on toasted buns with avocado spread.
- Tip: Bean burgers have a softer texture and can be tricky to grill on grates that are widely spaced. If needed place a sheet of foil down on the grill and cook the burgers on top.